A Scalable and Secure Peer-to-Peer
Information Sharing Tool
Collaboration Technologies Group
Distributed Systems Department
Computational Research Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
|Home||Progress Reports||People||Publications and Presentations||Software|
Reporting period - This report covers work completed September 2003 - December 2003
On the information-sharing portion of the project, we have continued to work on a graphical user interface and the application logic. We have added the following functionality to the application and interface:
Work on the scalable and secure peer-to-peer information sharing tool project focused on security and enhancements to the initial prototype implementation. The prototype was demonstrated at Supercomputing 2003.
Work on the security aspects focused on the design and implementation of software components. The most significant accomplishment was the incorporation of access control into the scishare application (using Akenti as the authorization engine).
- added a graphical interface to the access control; this interface is simpler to use than the generic Akenti policy and use condition builder interface as we have hidden much of the complexity from the user
- extended the application components such that they may be individually run from the command line; this will facilitate automated testing and instrumentation of the system - we have completed the search component and are still working on the local manager, download and sharing components.
The initial software release has been delayed as we are waiting for clearance from the LBNL patent department.
Workshops and Conferences
- Global Grid Forum 9, Chicago, IL, October 5-8, 2003.
- Supercomputing 2003, Phoenix, AZ, November 15-21, 2003.
- continue adding security mechanisms to the implementation
- enhance the user interface and application functionality based on feedback from initial users
- initial software release (pending clearance from patent department)
- begin instrumentation of system characteristics on the Planetlab network
Contact: Webmaster <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Credits: A Scalable and Secure Peer-to-Peer Information Sharing Tool research and development is funded by the U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Advanced Scientific Computing Research, Mathematical, Information, and Computational Sciences Division; Support Credits identify the funding sources and the organizational context of the work described in this document.