Inder Monga, Chin Guok, William E. Johnston, and Brian Tierney, Hybrid Networks: Lessons Learned and Future Challenges Based on ESnet4 Experience, IEEE Communications Magazine, May 2011.
Tom Lehman, Xi Yang, Nasir Ghani, Feng Gu, Chin Guok, Inder Monga, and Brian Tierney, Multilayer Networks: An Architecture Framework, IEEE Communications Magazine, May 2011.
Brian Tierney, Jeff Boote, Eric Boyd, Aaron Brown, Maxim Grigoriev, Joe Metzger, Martin Swany, Matt Zekauskas, and Jason Zurawski, perfSONAR: Instantiating a Global Network Measurement Framework, SOSP Workshop on Real Overlays and Distributed Systems (ROADS '09), October 2009. LBNL-1452E.
Jeff Boote, Eric Boyd, Aaron Brown, Maxim Grigoriev, Joe Metzger, Phil DeMar, Martin Swany, Brian Tierney, Matt Zekauskas and Jason Zurawski, Deploying distributed network monitoring mesh for LHC Tier-1 and Tier-2 sites, CHEP2009, March 2009.
William E. Johnston, Evangelos Chaniotakis, Eli Dart, Chin Guok, Joe Metzger, Brian Tierney, "The Evolution of Research and Education Networks and their Essential Role in Modern Science", To be published in: Trends in High Performance and Large Scale Computing, Lucio Grandinetti and Gerhard Joubert editors, 2009. LBNL-2885E.
Chin Guok, David Robertson, Evangelos Chaniotakis, Mary Thompson, William Johnston, Brian Tierney, A User Driven Dynamic Circuit Network Implementation, Proceedings of the Distributed Autonomous Network Magagement Systems Workshop (DANMS 2008), November 2008, LBNL-2194E.
A. Baranovski, K. Beattie, S. Bharathi, J. Boverhof, J. Bresnahan, A. Chervenak, I. Foster, T. Freeman, D. Gunter, K. Keahey, C. Kesselman, R. Kettimuthu, N. Leroy, M. Link, M. Livny, R. Madduri, G. Oleynik, L. Pearlman, R. Schuler, and B. Tierney, Enabling Petascale Science: Data Management, Troubleshooting and Scalable Science Services, Proceedings of SciDAC 2008, July 2008.
J. Bresnahan, A. Brown, D. Gunter, J. M. Schopf, M. Swany, B. L. Tierney, Log Summarization and Anomaly Detection for Troubleshooting Distributed Systems , IEEE/ACM International Conference on Grid Computing (Grid2007), Austin, TX, September 2007, LBNL-63468.
B. Tierney, D. Gunter, L. Pearlman et. al., Grid Logging: Best Practices Guide, Nov. 2007, LBNL Report: LBNL-663E.
Brian L. Tierney, Dan Gunter, Jennifer M. Schopf, The CEDPS Troubleshooting Architecture and Deployment on the Open Science Grid, Proceedings of SciDAC 2007, Boston, MA, June 2007.
Matthias Vallentin, Robin Sommer, Jason Lee, Craig Leres, Vern Paxson, Brian Tierney, The NIDS Cluster: Scalable, Stateful Network Intrusion Detection on Commodity Hardware , Proceedings of the Symposium on Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection , Queensland, Australia, September 2007. LBNL-714E.
C. Guok, D. Robertson, M. Thompson, J. Lee, B. Tierney and William Johnston, Intra and Interdomain Circuit Provisioning Using the OSCARS Reservation System, Proceedings of the GridNETS 2006 workshop, Oct. 2006, LBNL-60373
W. Bethel, S. Campbell, E. Dart, J. Lee, S. A. Smith, K. Stockinger, B. Tierney, K. Wu. "Interactive Analysis of Large Network Data Collections Using Query-Driven Visualization." LBNL-59166
R. Pang, M. Allman, M. Bennett, J. Lee, V. Paxson, B. Tierney, A First Look at Modern Enterprise Traffic , IMC-2005 , LBNL-57629.
Daniel K. Gunter and Brian L. Tierney, Scalable Analysis of Distributed Workflow Traces , The 2005 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'05) , LBNL-57060.
Daniel K. Gunter, Keith R. Jackson, David E. Konerding, Jason R. Lee and Brian L. Tierney, Essential Grid Workflow Monitoring Elements , The 2005 International Conference on Grid Computing and Applications (GCA'05) , LBNL-57428.
Brian L. Tierney, Tom Dunigan, Jason R. Lee, Dan Gunter and Martin Stoufer, Improving Distributed Application Performance Using TCP Instrumentation , LBNL report.
B. Tierney and J. Hollingsworth, "Instrumentation and Monitoring", Chapter 20, The Grid Blueprint for a New Computing Infrastructure, 2nd Edition, Elsevier 2003
G. Jin, B. Tierney, System Capability Effects on Algorithms for Network Bandwidth Measurement , ( slices .PS ), Proceedings of the Internet Measurement Conference Oct. 27-29, 2003, Miami Beach, Florida, LBNL-48556
D. Gunter, B. Tierney, C. E. Tull, V. Virmani, On-Demand Grid Application Tuning and Debugging with the NetLogger Activation Service, 4th International Workshop on Grid Computing (Grid2003), LBNL-52991
B. Lowekamp, B. Tierney, Les Cottrell, R. Hughes-Jones, T. Kielmann, M. Swany, Enabling Network Measurement Portability Through a Hierarchy of Characteristics , 4th International Workshop on Grid Computing (Grid2003), LBNL-53013. G. Jin, B. Tierney Netest: A Tool to Measure Maximum Burst Size, Available Bandwidth and Achievable Throughput, Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Information Technology Aug. 10-13, 2003, Newark, New Jersey, LBNL-48350.
D. Agarwal, J. M. González, G. Jin, B. Tierney An Infrastructure for Passive Network Monitoring of Application Data Streams , 2003 Passive and Active Measurement Workshop , San Diego, CA, April 2003, LBNL-51846.
B. Tierney and D. Gunter, NetLogger: A Toolkit for Distributed System Performance Tuning and Debugging , LBNL Tech Report LBNL-51276, 2003.
D. Gunter, B. Tierney, NetLogger: A Toolkit for Distributed System Tuning and Debugging, Proceedings of The 8th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management March 24-28, 2003, Colorado Springs, CO, LBNL-51276 B. Tierney, Using NetLogger and Web100 for TCP Analysis , Invited Paper, First International Workshop on Protocols for Fast Long-Distance Networks , Geneva, Switzerland, Feb 2002, LBNL-51776.
D. Gunter, B. Tierney, K. Jackson, J. Lee, M. Stoufer, " Dynamic Monitoring of High-Performance Distributed Applications" , Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, HPDC-11 , July 2002, Edinburgh, Scotland, LBNL-49698.
J. Lee, D. Gunter, M. Stoufer, B. Tierney, "Monitoring Data Archives for Grid Environments", Proceeding of IEEE Supercomputing 2002 Conference, Nov. 2002, Baltimore, Maryland, LBNL-50216.
T. Dunigan, M. Mathis and B. Tierney, A TCP Tuning Daemon, Proceeding of IEEE Supercomputing 2002 Conference, Nov. 2002, Baltimore, Maryland, LBNL-51022.
B. Tierney and D. Gunter, NetLogger: A Toolkit for Distributed System Performance Tuning and Debugging , LBNL Tech Report LBNL-51276.
G. Jin, G. Yang, B. Crowley, D. Agarwal, "Network Characterization Service (NCS)", Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing HPDC-10, August 2001, LBNL-47892.
B. Tierney, D. Gunter, J. Lee, M. Stoufer, "Enabling Network-Aware Applications", Proceedings of the 10th IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-10), August 2001, LBNL-47611.
J. Lee, D. Gunter, B. Tierney, W. Allock, J. Bester, J. Bresnahan, S. Tuecke, " Applied Techniques for High Bandwidth Data Transfers across Wide Area Networks", Proceedings of Computers in High Energy Physics 2001 (CHEP 2001), Beijing China, LBNL-46269.
B.Tierney, " TCP tuning Guide for Distributed Applications on Wide Area Networks", Usenix ;login Journal, Feb, 2001, p33. LBNL-45261.
W. Bethel, Tierney, B., Lee, J., Gunter, D., Lau, S., "Using High-Speed WANs and Network Data Caches to Enable Remote and Distributed Visualization", Proceeding of the IEEE Supercomputing 2000 Conference, Nov. 2000. LBNL-45365.
Tierney, B., B. Crowley, D. Gunter, J. Lee, M. Thompson, "A Monitoring Sensor Management System for Grid Environments", Cluster Computing Journal, vol 4-1, 2001, Baltzer Science Publications, LBNL-46847.
Tierney, B., W. Johnston, J. Lee, "A Cache-based Data Intensive Distributed Computing Architecture for Grid Applications", CERN School of Computing , Sept, 2000.
D. Gunter, B. Tierney, B. Crowley, M. Holding, J. Lee NetLogger: A Toolkit for Distributed System Performance Analysis Proceedings of the IEEE Mascots 2000 Conference (Mascots 2000), August 2000, LBNL-46269.
B. Tierney, B. Crowley, D. Gunter, M. Holding, J. Lee, M. Thompson A Monitoring Sensor Management System for Grid Environments Proceedings of the IEEE High Performance Distributed Computing conference ( HPDC-9 ), August 2000, LBNL-45260.
Tierney, B., Johnston, W., Lee, J., Thompson, M., "A Data Intensive Distributed Computing Architecture for Grid Applications", Future Generation Computer Systems (an Elsevier Journal), vol 16, #5, April 2000, pp 473-481.
Tierney, B., Gunter, D., Becla, J., Jacobsen, B., Quarrie, D., "Using NetLogger for Distributed Systems Performance Analysis of the BaBar Data Analysis System" , Proceedings of Computers in High Energy Physics 2000 (CHEP 2000) , Feb. 2000, LBNL-44828.
Tierney, B. Lee, J., Crowley, B., Holding, M., Hylton, J., Drake, F., "A Network-Aware Distributed Storage Cache for Data Intensive Environments", Proceedings of IEEE High Performance Distributed Computing conference ( HPDC-8 ), August 1999, LBNL-42896.
Tierney, B., W. Johnston, B. Crowley, G. Hoo, C. Brooks, D. Gunter.The NetLogger Methodology for High Performance Distributed Systems Performance Analysis, Proceeding of IEEE High Performance Distributed Computing conference ( HPDC-7 ), July 1998, LBNL-42611. (viewgraphs)
Collaborative Papers with other Organizations:
Brian Tierney also co-authored a number of papers while on leave at CERN . These papers are available on the EU DataGrid WP2 page.
- A Chervenak, E. Deelman, I. Foster, A. Iamnitchi, C. Kesselman, W. Hoschek, P. Kunszt, M. Ripeanu, H. Stockinger, K. Stockinger, B. Tierney, "Giggle: A Framework for Constructing Scalable Replica Location Services", Proceeding of IEEE Supercomputing 2002 Conference, Nov. 2002.
- R. Kalmady and B. Tierney, "A Comparison of GSIFTP and RFIO on a WAN", Proceedings of Computers in High Energy Physics 2001 (CHEP 2001).
Recent Invited Talks:
- Tierney, B., Supercomputing 2000 Tutorial , Dallas, TX, Nov. 2000
- Tierney, B., Cern Computing School Lecture on Data Grids and TCP tuning, Sept. 2000
- Tierney, B., Distributed Storage Caches and Distributed System Performance Analysis Tools, Supercomputing '98 Tutorial, November 1998.
Previous Papers: (1990 - 1997)
- Nitzan, R., Tierney, B., "Experiences with TCP/IP over an ATM OC12 WAN" , LBNL Report, April 1999.
- Johnston, W., Lee, J., Tierney, B., and Tull, C., Directions and Issues for High Data Rate Wide Area Network Environments, Proceedings of the Computers in High Energy Physics Conference (CHEP 98), August 1998, LBNL-42610. (viewgraphs)
- Lee, J., Tierney, B., and Johnston, W., "Data Intensive Distributed Computing: A Medical Application Example", Proceedings of the High Performance Computing and Networking Conference ( HPCN 99 ), April 1999, LBNL-42690. (viewgraphs)
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, G. Hoo, J. Lee, Performance Analysis in High-Speed Wide Area ATM Networks: Top-to-bottom end-to-end Monitoring, IEEE Network, Vol. 10, no. 3, May/June 1996, LBL-38246. (viewgraphs)
- W. E. Johnston, W. Greiman, G. Hoo, J. Lee, B. Tierney, C. Tull, High-Speed Distributed Data Handling for On-Line Instrumentation Systems, Proceedings of IEEE Supercomputing '97 Conference (SC97), LBNL-40697. (viewgraphs)
- Johnston, W., Jin G., C. Larsen, J. Lee, G. Hoo, M. Thompson, B. Tierney, J. Terdiman, Real-Time Generation and Cataloguing of Large Data-Objects in Widely Distributed Environments, International Journal of Digital Libraries - Special Issue on Digital Libraries in Medicine, LBNL-39613.
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, J. Lee, G. Hoo, and M. Thompson, End-to-End Performance Analysis of High Speed Distributed Storage Systems in Wide Area ATM Networks, NASA/Goddard Conference on Mass Storage Systems and Technologies, 1996, LBNL-39064. (viewgraphs)
- Johnston, W., J. Guojun, G. Hoo, C. Larsen, J. Lee, B. Tierney, M. Thompson, Distributed Environments for Large Data-Objects: Broadband Networks and a New View of High Performance, Large-Scale Storage-Based Applications, Presented at Internetworking '96, LBNL-38969.
- Johnston, W., Tierney, B., Feuguay, J, Butzer, T, "A Distributed Parallel Storage Architecture and its Potential Application Within EOSDIS", NASA Mass Storage Symposium, March 1995.
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, H. Herzog, G. Hoo, G. Jin, J. Lee, System Issues in Implementing High Speed Distributed Parallel Storage Systems , Proceedings of the USENIX Symposium on High Speed Networking, Aug. 1994, LBL-35775.
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, T. Chen, H. Herzog, G. Hoo, G. Jin, J. Lee, Distributed Parallel Data Storage Systems: A Scalable Approach to High Speed Image Servers, Proceedings of the ACM Multimedia, October 1994, LBL-35408.
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, L.T. Chen, H. Herzog, G. Hoo, and J. Lee, The Image Server System: A High-Speed Parallel Distributed Data Server, Aug. 1994, LBL-36002. Presented at the MAGIC Gigabit Network Testbed Symposium, July 1994.
- Tierney, B., W. Johnston, L.T. Chen, H. Herzog, G. Hoo, G. Jin, J. Lee, Using High Speed Networks to Enable Distributed Parallel Image Server Systems, Supercomputing '94 Conference, LBL-35437.
This page is the responsibility of Brian L. Tierney. (BLTierney@lbl.gov). Support Credits identify the funding sources and the organizational context of the work described in this document.
Disclaimers and Legal Noticesapply to this document and its uses, and access to and uses of the system on which it resides at LBL. Like any Web page, it may be linked with pages and systems beyond LBL jurisdiction. Their contents and uses are the responsibility of their authors and administrators.
If there is a problem with this page please, e-mail email@example.com.
DIDC HOME PAGE
LBL HOME PAGE